Long warm summers, lovely uncrowded beaches, superb food & wine, lots to do – we think Aquitaine is a fabulous holiday destination. Our clients agree – Destination Aquitaine gets an amazing 100% client satisfaction rating!
What makes it so good? Maybe it’s because:
2. Of long, comfortably hot and sunny summers, but not as roasting as the Mediterranean South of France (see more Aquitaine weather)
3. It has the longest stretch of coastline in Europe, the Côte d’Argent – 250km of sand, dunes, and pine forest
4. It's more than just a beach - there are medieval villages and hill-top towns, châteaux, museums, markets and regular festivals.
6. Some of the world’s most famous wines - such as Médoc, St Emilion, Pomerol and Sauternes - are from Aquitaine
7. It is home to Western Europe's largest forest and over 30 freshwater lakes for natural tranquility and gourmet picnics.
8. It is home to the French Basque Country, an ancient land with its own language, culture, sports, festivals, architecture.
9. Its regional cuisine is noted even in France for its variety, from foie gras to oysters and the Spanish-influenced pintxos (tapas).
10. It is easy to reach by plane - five airports provide good access to the region, many served by low-cost airlines.
Visit Find My Holiday for ideas & inspiration to find your perfect Aquitaine holiday rental or call us on +44 (0)1395 576655
Learn more about the regions, resorts and activities in Aquitaine
If you need any other reasons to visit, look at our round up of some of the top events in Aquitaine this summer and autumn. Aquitaine is hosting a fabulously diverse range of events in 2018, from the international spectacle of the Pau Grand Prix to the quirky and resolutely local Espelette Pepper Festival.
We have some great accommodation which will enable you to be perfectly-placed to make the most of these exciting events;
Pau Grand Prix 24th - 26th May 2019
Wheels & Waves Bikes and Surf Festival, Biarritz 14th - 17th June 2018
Biarritz Summer Festival 20th - 22nd July 2018
The Biarritz Golf Cup 8th - 15th July 2018
Bayonne Cultural Festival 25th - 29th July 2018
Marathon du Medoc 8th September 2018
Quiksilver & Roxy Pro Surf, Hossegor 3rd - 14th October 2018
Espelette Pepper Festival 27th - 28th October 2018
There are flights from airports across the UK & Ireland to Aquitaine with frequency of services increasing during the summer months.
The main Aquitaine airport destinations for flights from the UK & Ireland are: Bergerac, Biarritz, Bilbao, Bordeaux, Lourdes, Pau, San Sebastian and Toulouse.
The carriers with most frequent services to the region are Easyjet, Flybe and Ryanair but there are also other airlines serving this area including British Airways and Aer Lingus.
If you are looking to book flights to Aquitaine we recommend using Skyscanner for up to date flight information and competitive prices.
Read about holidays in Aquitaine in the travel press recently:
Telegraph Travel, January 2016:
San Sebastian, European city of culture 2016
Telegraph Travel, January 2016:
Guéthary one of the best hidden seaside resorts in Europe
Telegraph Travel, December 2015:
St Jean de Luz one of the best toddler-friendly beach holidays in Europe
The New York Times Travel, July 2015:
Cycling along Arcachon Bay
Tripadvisor Travellers' Choice, July 2014:
Biarritz Beach Voted Best In France
Daily Telegraph, January 2014:
St Jean de Luz Ideal Family Resort
Sunday Times, January 2014:
Cap Ferret – More Style & Taste Than Cap Ferrat
Sunday Times, July 2013:
Basque Country – Spectacular Ocean Roads In Europe
Sunday Times, March 2013:
Aquitaine Number One In France - Six Hush-Hush Beaches in Europe
Mail Online, July 2012:
Sand dunes, cycle trails and scrummy seafood in Cap Ferret
Guardian, March 2012:
Where Do The French Go To Unwind – Aquitaine Of Course!