Pricing & availability
Villa Sainte Marie
5 bedrooms, sleeps 10
Notes on prices
- Price includes: Beds made for arrival, bathroom towels, welcome basket, toiletries
- Compulsory extras: None
- Optional extras: Concierge services, eg restaurant bookings, in-villa services (chef, yoga, massage), activity bookings etc. Late arrival (after 8pm), cleaning & baby-sitting.
- Security deposit: 2500 EUR
- Changeover day: Saturday in July & August, flexible the rest of the year
- Arrival and departure: Arrival is from 5pm-8pm, departure by 10am please
- Fortnight booking restriction: No
What makes Villa Sainte Marie a great holiday villa
- beautiful, large & private walled garden
- spacious, modern and well-equipped inside
- nearest beach just 30m away - swim before breakfast!
- shops & restaurants only 1.5 kms by bike
- fabulous beaches & cycle trails, character villages galore to explore
Groups of familes & friends wanting a good villa with pool with lots of space & privacy, and to be as close to the beach as possible.
- Toddlers: fully enclosed garden, pool with electic cover, accommodation on single level
- Teenagers: wifi; safe destination to explore with lots of activities
- Reduced mobility: single-storey villa; three bedrooms have en-suite showers
Anything to watch out for?
Two bedrooms (each with ensuite shower room) are in an adjacent annex building, with direct garden access
Why the Ile de Ré?
The Ile de Ré is a stylish, authentic & easily accessible island known for its charming seaside villages, huge network of cycle trails, lovely beaches, seafood and water sports, with a distinctive natural landscape of salt marshes, oyster farms and ancient woods. Now officially part of Aquitaine, where it fits perfectly!
Stylish & spacious villa with pool & lovely private garden
Villa Sainte Marie is a simply fabulous villa by the sea. The smell of sea air, pine trees, a beach at the end of the garden, quiet location, lots of space and privacy, a big heated pool, covered dining area, your own piste for playing boules, good-sized garden, wifi, light, modern & unpretentious living areas, very comfortable bedrooms, quality bathrooms, all bright, nicely decorated & well-equipped - quite a list!
The villa comes in two parts - the main house consisting of three bedrooms, kitchen & living areas, and an adjacent annex with two bedrooms, both with ensuite bathrooms and having direct garden access.
The décor is modern, tasteful, and features the typical Ile de Ré blues, greys and greens.
Main house (single-storey):
The main living area overlloks the garden via two sets of French doors, and consists of:
• spacious sitting area seating five by the fire
• reading corner with large sofa, plus games table for two
• modern, open-plan kitchen, well-equipped, with dining table seating 8
The bedrooms are all at ground floor level too:
• parental suite with bed 160, shower room and WC en suite
• double room with bed 160
• double room with two single beds
• bathroom with shower and bath
• separate WC
The annex runs perpendicular to the main house (on the right if facing the house), next to the swimming pool (separated by a low stone wall). It has two good quality en-suite bedrooms, each with its own private shower room and WC, one with a double bed and the other with two single beds.
The garden is exceptional, a lovely size, an attractive stone wall giving lots of privacy. Half is a grassed area with several trees and mature plants, plus private piste for playing boules, the other half (nearest the house) comprises:
- large stone terrace with summer sitting area & loungers
- 10m x 5m heated pool with electic cover, outdoor shower
- covered outdoor dining area with barbecue
The icing on the cake, the beach: less than a minute's walk away - through the gate at the bottom of the garden, over the road, down a small path that crosses the dune.
Three double bedrooms (2x 160cm beds, 1 with 140cm bed), two twin bedrooms (both with 2x 90 x 190cm beds)
3 ensuite shower rooms, each with WC, plus shared bathroom
10m x 5m heated pool, protected by electric cover
- washing machine
- oven & hob
- fridge freezer
- coffee maker
- iron & ironing board
- dvd player
- tv with French channels
- bbq or plancha
- parking space
Villa Sainte Marie is located in a lovely residential area called Les Grenettes, about 3kms from Sainte Marie de Ré proper, 1.5 kms from Sainte-Marie-La-Noue where the nearest shops & restaurants are. The local beach is literally across the road - it's more rocky than sandy and fabulous for a high-tide swim in clear waters. The nearest sandy stretch (also a surf spot) is only a 250m walk north along the coast path.
Nearest village / town: Sainte-Marie-de-Ré
Nearest beach: Les Grenettes 30m
Boulangerie: 1.5 kms (Sainte-Marie-La-Noue)
Restaurant: 1.5 kms (Sainte-Marie-La-Noue)
Market: 1.5 kms (Sainte-Marie-La-Noue)
Distance to nearest major transport connections
- La Rochelle airport 20 kms
- Nantes airport 160 kms
- St Malo ferry 350 kms
- Paris 500 kms
- Calais ferry/tunnel 750 kms
Things to do and see
- Seafood on a quayside table at a St Martin de Ré bistro
- Cycle to Le Bois Plage for sunbathing and a play in the waves
- Cycle ride between Loix & St Martin or La Couarde & Ars, through salt marshes & oyster beds
- Stock up for a gourmet picnic at La Flotte food hall - best on the island
- Sunset at the gorgeous Plage de la Conche at Les Portes
- Boat trips
Day Trip Ideas
The island can easily be explored in a half-day bike ride, even the furthest point away from Sainte Marie, Les Portes En Ré. Most people come to the island to stay.
If you do fancy a change of scenery for a trip or two there are a couple of worthwhile boat tours:
- Ile d'Aix - a 3 km, entirely car-free island between the Iles de Ré and d'Oléron, with the distinction of two lighthouses
- La Rochelle - much better to go by boat than car, and a fabulous place to visit, especially the medieval old town, fort, marina and main square
The Local Area
Sainte Marie de Ré is situated near the south west corner on the southern (sandy beach) side of the island. It has a lovely village feel typical of the Ile de Ré, including an attractive square with several restaurants, and several stretches of sandy beach with spots for sunbathing, sailing, surfing, paddle-boarding. It is well-connected to the rest of the island by the island's extensive network of cycle trails.
The Ile de Ré is a perfectly preserved island paradise with great beaches, lovely seaside villages and a chic atmosphere, lying just off La Rochelle mid-way down the Atlantic coast. It's an excellent choice for family holidays or for couples.
Some 30kms long, it has a distinctive, naturally beautiful landscape. The south side of the island is fringed by sandy beaches; the north side is all oyster farms, salt marshes and inlets plus a couple of glorious harbours - St Martin and La Flotte.
Despite its recent growth as a chic holiday resort, the island still boasts a thriving working life, and the villages have retained their authentic French feel - they are true villages-by-the-sea. As well as tourism oysters, mussels, wine and asparagus are the chief products of the island.
The villages are amazingly charming and pretty - low-rise, whitewashed houses, terracotta roofs, shutters in subtle shades of green-and-blues, nothing over-manicured.
There are 60 kms of cycle paths, and the flat landscape makes it easy-going for gentle rides from village-to-village. It's the best way to explore the island, and hiring is easy.
There are lots of spots for sailing, windsurfing, kite-surfing, paddle-boarding and surfing too. Equipment hire and lessons are widely available. Foodies are very well catered-for, good restaurants abound and the village food markets are a delight.
A few island highlights:
» St Martin de Ré - the island's capital - is a mecca for yacht-owners who spend a few hours ashore indulging in the harbour's seafood restuarants and brocantes (do we sound jealous?). If ever St Martin de Ré is too crowded, La Flotte is a smaller, less well-known version and not to be missed.
» Aside from La Flotte, the best beaches are on the south at La Couarde, Le Bois Plage and Sainte Marie de Ré. There are some good surf spots along this stretch of coast too.
» The lighthouse Phare des Baleines is worth a detour too - the views are wonderful and the clear waters will lure you in for a swim soon after!
» The ride to from la Couarde to Ars en Ré is lovely. Follow the track around the salt marshes into the pleasant village square for refreshments.
» Every village has its enticing galleries and homeware boutiques, lovely to browse. Allowing some luggage space for your purchases on the journey home is recommended.
More Ile de Re Rentals
Customer Reviews By Feefo
No reviews yet.