What makes Lacanau a great villa resort?
With golf, watersports, cycling, spa, tennis, horse-riding and a wonderfully natural environment on your doorstep, Lacanau is perfect for an active seaside and sporty holiday. It has fantastic beaches, beautiful cycle trails (clients love them!), tranquil lake, summer market and a wide choice of places to eat. The villas are modern & well-equipped. Plus it's the resort with the shortest drive from the Channel. Just chill by your own pool, relax on the beach or hire a bike & get exploring!
Best for ...
There are 3 separate sites of villas in Lacanau-Ocean, each with subtle differences in size, quality and location. Alex & Justin know them well so if you would like any guidance please email or call on +44 1395 576655
There are differences in villa locations, equipment and facilities across the sites - here is our guide:
|Quality rating||If villa quality is your priority we recommend Atlantic Green villas which, with touches like a spa bath and better ratio of bedrooms:bath/shower rooms, we rate as "good" quality; Eden Parc and Eden Club villas are furnished more simply.|
|What's included||All villas include linen, towels & free wifi at reception; at Atlantic Green beds are also made for your arrival|
|Distance to nearest beach||All 3 sites are approx. 2.5 - 3 kms from the beach, however access to the cycle path which leads there is easiest from Eden Club villas|
|Distance to golf||The three sites are all within 500m of a lovely 9 hole course, the Golf du Baganais. There is also an extension of Eden Parc villas very close to the first tee of the 18-hole Golf du Lacanau - we can request one of these villas for you.|
We know the villas and different locations well so if you would like any help choosing please contact Alex or Justin.
Discounts available on fortnight stays outside period 5/7/14 to 23/8/14 - savings up to 600 EUR. Late Booking Offers also usually available. Hover on the 'Offers' bubble for more details.
Lacanau offers surfing, golf, sailing, cycling, horse-riding, tennis, as well as lovely ocean & lake beaches - perfect for an active holiday
Lacanau-Ocean is the pre-eminent sea-side town of the Medoc Bleu, an area noted for a wide variety of activities and attractions.
Ocean beaches: wide, sandy Atlantic beaches are long enough that you can always find a quiet spot to yourself even in high summer just a short way away form the centre of town.
Cycling and hiking trails: over 120 kms of safe cycle tracks lead through the forests up and down this stretch of coast, from Carcans-Maubuisson north of Lacanau, all the way, ultimately, to the Pointe de Cap Ferret to the south. Several local bike hire shops, it's a lovely way to get around.
The local lakes are a great opportunity for whiling away the hours in tranquility, listening to the water lapping the sandy shores. The surrounding forest are perfect for picnics and rambling. The lake beach at Moutchic is popular, but Longarisse is the one the locals go to!
* Restaurants - several in Lacanau Ocean
* Shops - local amenities in Lacanau Ocean (fishmonger, bakery, grocery store, etc), plus a few boutiques
* Supermarket - mini-market at Lacanau Ocean, plus larger supermarket in Lacanau-bourg 8 kms inland
* Markets - weekly market in Lacanau-Ocean (Saturday mornings)
Lacanau is also well-located for exploring further afield - many places of interest in this south-west corner of France are within an hour's drive:
Day trip ideas
* Tour and tasting around world-famous Medoc vineyards
* Boat trips along the Gironde and to the Phare de Courdouan
* Drive down to Cap Ferret, for oyster-tasting and to climb the lighthouse
* Spend a day strolling beautiful St Emilion (but get there early)
* Explore the narrow streets and squares of central Bordeaux and soak up the history
Our personal highlights
* Picnicking by the lac de Lacanau - find a shady spot and enjoy the tranquility
* Hit the beach late afternoon and stay for an evening gourmet picnic, like the French do, watching the sun go down
* Cycle rides along the forest trails - mainly flat, easy & very enjoyable
* Driving by some of the outlandish Medoc chateaux - impressive, and humbling
* For some real exhiliration try a surfing lesson, or just hire a body-board!
Lacanau-Ocean is on the Medoc coast, a lovely area of pine forest, lakes & sand dunes
GPS: (44.99315124, -1.162061691)
We endeavour to be as accurate as possible using Google maps but some error is possible.
Bordeaux airport: 70 kms
Bordeaux train station: 80 kms
Bergerac airport: 200 kms
St Malo ferry: 650 kms
Calais ferry: 900 kms
Below we have picked out a selection of comments from clients which we think describe the Lacanau holiday experience really well. For more reviews please visit the Reviews tab for the different villa sites.